Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Getting Rid of the Home Phone

In light of the current economic conditions many people around the country are looking for ways to cut back on their spending. One often overlooked item that most people are still shelling out big bucks for is the land line phone. Many people contemplate loosing the land line phone company and going all cellular but many are afraid to take the plunge, well I have some tips and advice for making the jump to cellular. I have not had a cell phone in my house for the last 6 years and could not be happier with the results. The first few months take a bit of adjusting but soon I forgot what a home phone looked like and felt like.

Saving big with cellular:
 Most people have a cellphone that they use when they are out of the house and many cell phone companies offer unlimited plans which most people have, or could have for just a few bucks more per month. If you happen to be paying for unlimited minutes on your cell phone already why would you want to keep paying $30-$40 per month to keep your home phone around especially if you are only using a few times per week.

Missing all those Telemarketing Calls:
One of the hardest adjustments to make when switching to a 100% cell phone life is missing out on the chance to yell at telemarketers that call you at all hours. Although you will not be free from all telemarketing calls on a cell phone I find that I might get 1-2 calling me per month as opposed to the 2-3 per day on my old land line. 

The 411 on 911:
Some of you might be concerned with your safety when it comes to using a cell phone. But like a home phone a cell phone will connect you with a 911 dispatcher, however unlike a home phone your location will not be immediately available to them so you will have to be able to give them your address. This could be a problem if you find your self incapacitated, however many 911 centers are  being updated with new technology to retrieve your location via a cell phone however there is no requirement for the adoption at this time and is voluntary.

Dropping The Call:
One of the biggest problems in some areas is the dreaded dropped call. If you already have a cell phone you should know what kind of reception that you get in your home, but there is a chance that you will not have coverage in every room... or possible at all if you live in a large apartment complex. Although I know of no solutions if this is a problem that you face, I can say however that as technology gets better so does coverage so hopefully soon dropped calls will be an issue of the past.


Digital Devices:
One last thing to be aware of is if any products in your home require a land line phone connections. This usually is only required by DVR's such as TiVo or older home security systems, however many new devices will use high speed internet vs the phone line to communicate with the outside world.

If you have been putting off firing the land line phone company, I hope that I have given you some food for though about cutting the cord. Although its a bit of an adjustment period going 100% cellular is one of the best things I have ever done and haven't looked back one in the last 6 years.

iDeal Realty & Management
9051 W Kelotn Lane, Suite 10
Peoria, Arizona 85382
623-201-3544
www.idealrealtyaz.com

4 comments:

  1. You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post. frontpoint security review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post! It's very nice to read this info from someone that actually knows what they are talking about. home rental property management

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great information thanks for sharing this with us.In fact in all posts of this blog their is something to learn . your work is very good and i appreciate your work and hopping for some more informative posts . Again thanks.
    essay writing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm going to go to bell on sheppard centre and tell them to stop my home phone. Luckily they do my landline and my cell phone so it shouldn't be too difficult. Maybe when the kids get a little older and they don't have cell phones we might get it back but we're just wasting money right now.

    ReplyDelete